The good news is that we are getting tethering for our iPhones in the near future. The bad news is that we will most likely have to add $30 to the already high price per month we pay for our iPhones. This will probably just force the tech savvy to use their jailbroken tethering methods instead of paying the same as they already pay for their iphone data plan. You also could just get a new 3G enabled laptop which incorporates a sim card tray.
This is not yet an official annoucement, but it will be interesting to see what they decide to do. Lets hope they make it more reasonable, such as $5 to $10 per month.
The rumored details:
5GB Data Cap (just like Blackberry users) – AT&T will automatically turn off your tethering connection if you use too much bandwidth.
• Expected speeds: GPRS: 30k – dialup speeds / EDGE: 110k – ISDN speeds / 3G: 1000k – slow broadband.
• You’ll want to disable auto-updates for everything, so as to not go over usage limitations.
• Will be +$30/month, new iPhone plans may be rolled out with tethering rolled in.
• Do not pro-rate tethering/bandwidth, it can become a nightmare, instead wait until new billing cycle.
• For unlimited bandwidth, AT&T will tell you to get a wireless PC card.
• No idea on a launch date.